Skip to main content



Ehemalige Synagoge Ichenhausen - Haus der Begegnung (Former synagogue Ichenhausen - House of encounter)

Accessibility
no information available
Opening Times
Today only open by appointment
Address
Vordere Ostergasse 22
89335 Ichenhausen

The synagogue in Ichenhausen, newly built in 1781 in early classicist style, was the religious centre of the largest Jewish rural community in Bavaria in the 19th century as the seat of a state chief rabbi. In 1938 the synagogue was vandalised and turned into a storage room, and in 1942/43 the last remaining Jews in Ichenhausen were deported to Auschwitz. After restoration work, the synagogue was reopened in the 1980s as the "House of Encounter". It houses a permanent exhibition on the history of the Jewish community of Ichenhausen from its beginnings around 1541 until its extermination by the Nazi regime. The ritual immersion bath (mikveh) in the basement as well as the Jewish cemetery on the southern outskirts of the town with about 900 still preserved gravestones and a tahara house (purification hall) can also be visited during Sunday openings.

Last edited on 26.10.2023

Additional information

You Might Also Be Interested in

  • Museum / Exhibition Centre: Kunstsammlung des Herzoglichen Georgianums (Art Collection of the Ducal Georgianum)

    In order to awaken an understanding for art in future priests and to prepare them for the proper handling of works of art in their future churches, the then director of the Ducal Georgianum -...

    Location: München

  • Museum / Exhibition Centre: Jägerndorfer Heimatstuben (Jägerndorf local history rooms)

    The Jägerndorfer Heimatstuben (Jägerndorf local history rooms) provide an overview of the history of the Sudeten Silesian Duchy of Jägerndorf, especially under the Princes of Brandenburg-Ansbach and...

    Location: Ansbach

  • Museum / Exhibition Centre: Vogteimuseum mit Blumenauer Heimatstube (Bailiwick museum with Blumenau local history room)

    The bailiwick museum provides information on the local history of Aurach with the former bailiwick of Wahrberg Castle and the Eichstätt Collegiate. You can also see traditional costumes, objects of...

    Location: Aurach

  • Museum / Exhibition Centre: Heimathaus Walkmühle (Home House Fulling Mill)

    In the former fulling mill dating back to 1730, water power was used to compact and felt fabrics. Today, the building from 1730 houses a cultural centre with a museum, including a farmhouse parlour, a...

    Location: Gundelfingen

  • Museum / Exhibition Centre: Krippenmuseum (Nativity Museum)

    Wood, bronze, pewter, bread dough, papier-mâché, pumpkins and so on... The materials used are as varied as the countries of origin: over 85 from all five continents. The largest collection of nativity...

    Location: Glattbach

  • Museum / Exhibition Centre: Troppau-Zimmer (Troppau room)

    Since 1958, Bamberg has been the sponsoring city for the former royal and provincial capital of Austrian Silesia, Troppau/Opava. Under the umbrella of the Cultural Office of the City of Bamberg, the...

    Location: Bamberg